Brand Differentiation with Storytelling: Sugar House Day Spa & Salon
When it comes to Branding, there are many ways to differentiate your brand. One very authentic way is “Tell a story that defines you and is unique to you.” We recently experienced an example of storytelling at Sugar House Day Spa & Salon. Sugar House is located in the historic center of Alexandria, Virginia in a beautifully restored early 19th century home. The building was once part of a sugar refinery and now Sugar House leverages that story in what they do. Here are just some of the ways… Treatments
- Sugar House Scrub: A sweet full body exfoliating scrub using sugar crystals and essential oils will leave your skin feeling smooth and looking radiant.
- Organic Chocolate Therapy: This decadent treatment is a chocolate lover’s dream, an hour of pure bliss.
- Spa Packages like Short & Sweet and A Sweet Treat.
- Even the treatment rooms are Sweets, aka Suites.
Colors Purple is their signature color. From their website, to their business cards, to carpeting and furniture, even the pens you use to fill out your spa forms, you can’t miss it. What more could they do? It’s a lovely spa with great atmosphere and branding. As marketers, we couldn’t help thinking about how they could continue to differentiate themselves by leveraging their story…
- Storytelling: Use signage and historic photos to tell the story of their historic building.
- Signature Product Line: with their name, take the Sugar House experience home with the Sugar House Scrub.
- Special Spa Package: Chocolate massage and tasting, or include a small ‘sweet’ with the end of each treatment.
- Giveaway: First-time guests receive a lovely parting give (see below) with a card for $5.00 off their next service.
- Leverage Seasonal Holidays: Sugar and sweetness are the perfect gifts for Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day. While they do have promotions during those periods, why not theme them?